Tuesday, June 19, 2007

It Takes a Village


Most of us aren't at an income level where we can justify dropping hundreds to thousands of dollars on designer labels. I've always been a believer in quality over quantity, but it's still hard to justify a designer handbag when I'm working on a down payment for a house. I don't do fake. I'd rather not have it at all than have the fake version. Here's my solution: I use any money that I get as a gift from grandparent, parents, in-laws, etc. to buy gift certificates at stores who sell my desired item such as Bloomingdale's, Saks, and Neiman Marcus. Once you've accumulated enough (or close enough) in gift cards you can get your item.

I use to just end up spending gift money on random things anyway that I forgot about quickly or didn't use for long. This way you can build a collection of items that transcends trends and your loved ones who send you money can help you purchase something that you'll use for a lifetime.

I just got my Louis Vuitton Speedy bag this way. Here are a few of the other items on my list:

1. Chanel sunglasses
2. Chanel ballet flats
3. Burberry trench coat (not the basic model, but a higher-end tailored piece)
4. Jimmy Choo shoes
5. Manolo Blahnik shoes
6. Marc Jacobs "Stam" bag
7. H. Stern jewelry
8. Catier Tank watch
9. Chloe bag
10. A really great medium-weight winter coat, maybe from Chloe

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a great idea! I don't do fakes either--some of my family members think I'm being hoity toity because I believe in this mantra, but there is something about a fake bag that just doesn't feel right. Again, this is a great idea. I think you've sold me!

AlisonM said...

I love the gift certificate idea. Somehow gift money ends up in my regular checking account and eventually gets spent on groceries. Thanks for sharing!